Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Andrew Garfield Surprises 'Spider-Man' Fans at Comic-Con

Andrew Garfield Surprises 'Spider-Man' Fans at Comic-Con

At San Diego Comic-Con, it's normal to see fans in superhero costumes -- but who would guess that Spider-Man himself would be underneath one of the masks? Andrew Garfield, star of The Amazing Spider-Man, delighted the crowd at his film's Comic-Con panel by disguising himself as an enthusiastic fan. After "hijacking" the mic in a cheap Spidey costume, Garfield, 27, gushed for a moment like an overwhelmed fanboy, then whipped off his mask to enormous cheers. Watch the video below!


Notice how he switches from an American accent to his actual British accent when he takes off the costume! Adorable, right?

Even better than his surprising entrance was Garfield's heartfelt speech to the gathered fans. The Social Network actor actually got choked up as he expressed what Spider-Man has meant to him through the years.

"I needed Spidey in my life when I was a kid, and he gave me hope," said the actor. "In every comic I read, he was living out my and every skinny boy's fantasy of being stronger, of being free of the body I was born into, and that swinging sensation of flight."

Playing Peter Parker, said Garfield, has made him a better person. "I think that we all wish we had the courage to stick up for ourselves more, to stick up for a loved one more, or even a stranger you see being mistreated, and Peter Parker has inspired me to feel stronger," said Garfield. "He made me, Andrew, braver. He reassured me that by doing the right thing, it's worth it.

"And I wouldn't be able to stand here in front of you guys right now without feeling that Spider-Man was here with me with his reassuring hand on my shoulder, making sure I don't fall over and concuss myself," the nervous actor joked.

"This is definitely the coolest moment of my life, and thank you for being here to share it with me," he concluded.

Consider us charmed! Meanwhile, while Garfield was channeling Peter Parker, another Spider-Man star was also getting into character. Rhys Ifans, who plays the villain Lizard in the film -- which is due in theaters July 3, 2012 and just got its first trailer -- was arrested for allegedly getting into a fight with a female Comic-Con security guard. No word on whether he was wearing a lizard costume at the time.

 

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/andrew-garfield-surprises-spider-man-fans-comic-con/1-a-366890

Pink Piper Perabo Poppy Montgomery Portia de Rossi Rachael Leigh Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment